2013 Citizenship Award Winners
Awards will be givien out at the 19th annual Citizenship Awards Banquet in October in Portland.
Fred Meyer, Oregon
Fred Meyer supports SOLVE initiatives though not only their sponsorship support but also through their support in volunteer strength. In 2013 alone, Fred Meyer is a sponsor of SOLVE's Spring Oregon Beach Cleanup, Project Oregon, and the Fall Beach and Riverside Cleanup. Their longstanding support and commitment to SOLVE's programs dates all the way back to 1998. Fred Meyer's also recruits their employees and encourages them to volunteer with SOLVE, and encourages others to get involved in the preservation our natural resources and of being great stewards for Oregon.
Community Group Category
The Beach Drive Buccaneers, Seaside Oregon
For the past 8th years, the Beach Drive Buccaneers have marched in the 4th of July parade dressed like pirates and handing out SOLVE bags to encourage everyone to take their own trash off the beach. Their annual July 5th beach cleanup has collected as much as 7.2 tons in one day. The Buccaneers help facilitate cleanup efforts by businesses, vacationers, school and church groups year round. And they have a representative at downtown association and chamber meetings on a regular basis keeping both groups informed about SOLVE events.
Peter Walczak, Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Working through out the entire Rockaway school district, Peter Walczak coordinates and leads Reading Challenges bringing in thousands of dollars in science books for school libraries. He facilitates projects throughout six communities, connecting hundreds of kids, staff, and volunteers with community organizations. And each school year, he organizes and leads stewardship projects allowing students to learn, help their communities and the environment, and earn community service hours for school.
Criteria for Citizenship Award
- Be a positive force/leader for volunteer efforts in their community, school and/or business.
- Commitment to sustainability, green practices and environmental stewardship.
- Volunteering or providing personal or professional resources that contribute to the environmental stewardship of their communities
- Assisting distressed Oregon communities toward environmental and economic health through volunteerism.
- Educating and involving Oregon youth in stewardship of the environment.