Students Take Charge
Students gain a "real world" extension to their classroom education, and at the same time, build a connection to their community. Whether your students are looking for a one-time community service opportunity, or if you want to develop a long-term service-learning project with your students, SOLVE is here to support your efforts.
SOLVE educational materials help students:
- Assess their community, in order to address real community needs
- Connect service to school-based academic learning
- Reflect purposefully on the connection between the service activity, their academic goals, and their own lives
- Celebrate and recognize the contributions of all participants
- Evaluate their accomplishments and the processes they followed
- SOLVE educational materials are designed for use by teachers and students in Oregon; all of the following SOLVE programs and curricula are designed to promote service-learning. All education materials are aligned with
- Oregon Department of Education standards and benchmarks across content areas.
SOLVE also offers students a number of opportunities to join a variety of cleanup, enhancement, and restoration efforts around Oregon. Students and their families are invited to join the following pre-scheduled, one-day cleanup and enhancement community service opportunities that SOLVE sponsors throughout Oregon.
- SOLVE Spring Beach Cleanup(April 1st) Volunteers help clean the entire coast of trash and marine debris.
- SOLVE IT for Earth Day (April 17th-28th, throughout Oregon) Statewide Earth Day event involving volunteers in litter cleanup, invasive plant removal, native planting, and restoration site maintenance and monitoring.
- Beach & Riverside Cleanup(Late September, throughout Oregon) Statewide event focusing on the removal of litter and invasives from Oregon's waterways. Events may include litter cleanup, invasive plant removal, native planting, and restoration site maintenance and monitoring.
Our K-16 educational programs and curricula are designed to place students in charge, as they involve them in service-learning. Service-learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with academic study to enrich learning, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities. Students gain a "real world" extension to their classroom education, and at the same time, build a connection to their community.
SOLVE is ready to work with Oregon high school students as they prepare an Extended Application, or a Senior Project. Interested students are invited to contact SOLVE early in the school year, to discuss school and SOLVE project requirements.
SOLVE has been acknowledged and recognized nationally for its leadership as a community partner in service-learning. Our service-learning training is endorsed and recommended by the Oregon Department of Education to introduce and support schools across the state in the strategy.
SOLVE provides training for teachers, addressing:
- What is service-learning?
- How can I connect a service project to my curriculum?
- How can service-learning help my students meet Oregon’s new High School graduation requirements?
- How do I find community partners and members to help, and how to I build the partnerships?
- How can service-learning help my students become leaders?